Thursday, August 20, 2009

Sweet Dreams are Made of These ...

"Victory tastes all the sweeter because you have worked for it and you fully deserve it!" Duke



It has been twenty-four hours but it still hasn't quite sunk in yet.

Tanjong Katong Secondary School - League One CHAMPIONS!

The moment passed so quickly, I regret not savouring it fully. Yet certain images are engraved in my mind and burnt into my mind's eye.

The raucous celebration at the final whistle, the coming together of team-mates who have fought tooth and nail with one another and spilled blood, Faiz the captain hoisting the trophy up high, the hugs and the high fives.

Before the game, I had to struggle to hold back tears as I was simply just so proud of the boys.

Their journey included overcoming a huge injustice at Victoria School, broken dreams at the hands of St. Pats, the fall of the captain at Marsiling and then, so nearly, an unexpected capitulation at the feet of Naval Base.

Yet the boys possessed a vital quality that all champions possess - bouncebackability.

I cannot express how proud and joyous I feel as I look back on the boys' achievement. It was always theirs for the taking and this time, they dared to win ... they dared to seize what is now rightfully theirs.

It was always all about you, your gifts, your character, your show ... and now you have centre stage, on the podium, holding the trophy aloft.

You are the champions because, quite simply, you were the best team in the entire division.

Actually, for the coach and I, we have always known that.

It was a matter of all of you believing that too. And now you do.

You have re-written history and you have made a name for yourselves. I cannot be any more proud of each and every one of you.
I thank God for the sweet, sweet taste of success and I am so grateful.

Well done, boys.

Well done, CHAMPS!